Friday, April 4, 2014

DIY Entertainment Center

Have you recently started looking for tv/entertainment units but find that either what you like is more than you want to spend, or the price is good but the aesthetics are lacking? I hear you on this one, I have been going through the same dilemma lately.

I'll tell you something that a noticed recently though, and I'm a little embarrassed that I never thought of this before; entertainment units are either 1 of 2 basic options - a console table/hutch unit with possible some drawers or doors, or a console table with 2 book shelves on either side (maybe an open shelf in the center above the tv).



With that being said, why spend $800 or more at IKEA for a media unit that are basically these components but technically sold as a single unit, when you can source your own individual pieces and create your own media unit?!

Just for fun, I looked around at Canadian Tire, and even Walmart online and found an open shelf base cabinet and 2 tall bookshelves (all in the same finish) that I could piece together myself and would in the long run cost me between  $150 - $520 plus taxes. What a huge difference in price from basically the same idea from IKEA which could run you past $5000 just for a media unit.

Not only can putting together your own tv/media unit be less expensive, it also can give you the opportunity to put together something unique that others most likely won't have in the same configuration as you in their own homes.


Take Care,

Leanne.

No comments:

Post a Comment