Thursday, July 4, 2013

Crockpot Strawberry Jam


Growing up, I was lucky enough to live next to a farmer's field that had a wild strawberry bush at the corner closest to my driveway.  I remember spending afternoons playing with my sister and occasionally stopping for a snack from these bushes, and because of that, my summer is never complete without having fresh Ontario strawberries for snacking, or even better, for homemade strawberry jam.

With that being said, here is a quick and easy recipe for strawberry jam, that is perfect if you are like me and don't have a canning kit at home, or just do not have the time to make jam in the traditional way:



Ingredients:
2 lbs of strawberries all cut up 
4 cups white sugar 
1/4 cup lemon juice (I think to keep them looking red) 
Crockpot, high setting, 2-4 hours depending on size of strawberries.

Directions:
1. Set Crockpot to high and combine all ingredients together & let cook for 2 hours.
2. Mash strawberries until only little chunks remain (or larger if you'd prefer)
3. Continue to cook on high for 1 more hour.
 4. Carefully pour mixture into containers (I used jars from the dollar store) and let cool to room temperature.
5. Once cooled, place containers in fridge to cool over night and thicken.

Wake up & enjoy!


I cannot wait to buy some strawberries from the farmers market next week and give this a try!

Take Care,

Leanne.

No comments:

Post a Comment