Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Guilt-Free Ice Cream

I will be the first person to admit that I have quite the ice cream addiction; I can buy a 2L container at the grocery store on Sunday, and have polished it off 3 days later by myself (crazy I know).

So if you're anything like me, it may be time to try out a more guilt-free alternative. No I am not talking about frozen yogurt, as great as that is too. I am talking about ice cream made of frozen bananas! With only 2-3 ingredients involved, and all of them being natural & healthy ingredients, why not try it?!



Guilt-Free Ice Cream - Recipe:

Ingredients:
4 bananas, just slightly overripe (brown spots good, completely black not so good)
2 tbsps creamy peanut butter (optional – thus 2 ingredient ice cream)
2 tsps cocoa powder (Dutch process), (optional – thus 2 or 3 ingredient ice cream depending on peanut butter


Directions:
DO NOT FREEZE THE WHOLE BANANA, you’ll have a heck of a time blending that beast.

Peel the bananas and slice them up into 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick disks. 
Place the banana slices in the freezer for about an hour or until they are frozen solid. 
Put the frozen slices in a food processor and pulse. First they will start to resemble gravel, but keep going. 

The bananas will soon turn into a frozen mush – at this point, start scraping the sides down (you will do this a lot). Or you could add a dash of milk since the liquid will help the blending. 
When the bananas look like whipped ice cream, you can add your mix-ins like peanut butter and/or cocoa powder, chocolate chips, toffee, raspberries, anything goes! 

Straight out of the food processor, the ice cream is like soft serve. You can also freeze it for a firmer texture. I find it’s pretty hard (and therefore, brittle) when I scoop it immediately after removing it from the freezer. Just give it a minute or two to soften up. Makes a pint.

No comments:

Post a Comment