Do you have popcorn ceilings in your home and wish that you didn't?
I grew up in a home with popcorn ceilings all of ,y life and grew to dislike them quite a bit....mostly because when I was a kid and brought home a balloon from a birthday party and let it go, it would fly up to the ceiling and "POP" my balloon was destroyed. Other than that, as I got older I just grew to dislike the look, and noticed that they drew unnecessary attention to the ceiling.
Anyway, if you're in the same boat as me and dislike your popcorn ceilings, here's how you can get rid of them:
What you will need:
- Large spray bottle with water (I find warm water works best)
- A drywall or putty knife
- A ladder (tall enough for you to easily reach your ceiling without straining your back
- A painter's hat (or a crummy old hat you don't care about) to keep gunk out of your hair
- Working in sections, spray the ceiling with warm water until it is soaked, then simply scrape away the popcorn ceiling.
- Once you have done this to you whole ceiling, let the ceiling dry, then use fine grained sandpaper to smooth out any imperfections.
- Now simply prime and paint your ceiling.
That's all folks! Now enjoy your new and improved ceiling in all of it's texture-free glory.