Monday, February 17, 2014

How To Foam Roll

Have you ever foam rolled before?
If you answered "no" then you are really missing out. Foam rolling not only relieves sore muscles, but it also prevents serious (and very painful) injuries.

I can speak from experience; a few weeks ago I had a very painful and tight lower back to the point where it hurt to turn my torso slightly to the right or left (even sitting in a chair was causing me a lot of discomfort). My trainer kept telling me "I really think that your back pain is coming from your glutes and hamstrings being too tight". After spending weeks of not believing this I was ready to believe what he was saying so I spent almost an hour foam rolling out my legs and butt. I kid you not when I say that after 1 hour of foam rolling, focused entirely on my glutes and hamstrings I felt almost no pain or discomfort, and the next day I was back to normal with no tell tale signs that I was ever in pain at all.

Moral of the story, foam rolling works!
So without further delay, here's a guide on how to foam roll like a pro.




Now although I said that I foam rolled for an hour, I assure you that you do not need to spend that much time doing this; a normal foam rolling session for me is usually anywhere from 10-20 minutes.

If you stay consistent and make foam rolling part of your daily stretching routine, I guarantee you will see results; your muscles will be less sore and looser, and you will notice that you will not only be in less pain, but you will over time have a greater range of motion in your movements.

Tip: the firmer the foam roller, the better. Go for a foam roller that when you press your hands into it, you have little to no give in the material. 


Take Care,

Leanne.

No comments:

Post a Comment