Thursday, April 11, 2013

Flavours of the East {Easy Chicken Curry}


As I stated in a previous post, I love international cuisine. One of my favourites is Indian food, full of aromatic spices and so many options for both meat lovers and vegetarians.

I had the urge to make my own yellow chicken curry, so a few nights ago I searched the internet for a simple and flavourful recipe and stumbled upon this delicious creation:




Ingredients:

Servings:
4-6
Units: US | Metric
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 tablespoons yellow curry powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon grated ginger (fresh or dried)
1/2 teaspoon white sugar
1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken breasts, tenderized and cubed
1/2 lemon, juiced
sriracha sauce, to taste


Directions:

1.Before cooking: tenderize and cube chicken, chop onion and mince garlic (I combine the two ingredients in a food processor), and combine curry powder, cinnamon, paprika, ginger root, and sugar in a small cereal-sized bowl.
2.Heat olive oil in a large pan on medium heat.
3.Once oil is hot, add onion and garlic.
4.Saute onion and garlic until onion is browned.
5.Add curry spices to the pan (add olive oil if need be--use your better judgement).
6.Saute combination until the spices have soaked up all of the remaining olive oil.
7.Add coconut milk, tomato paste, and chicken.
8.Simmer for 20-25 minutes.
9.Remove bay leaf.
10.Add lemon juice.
11.Simmer for 5 more minutes.
12.Serve over white rice (or fancier rice, if you prefer).

13. Allow guests to add sriracha sauce to their tastes.









Photographed by Author.

My only suggestion is to reduce the oil by 1 tbsp so that it isn't so greasy (I spooned excess oil off the top of the pan once it was done cooking). Otherwise this is a great dish that will spice up your usual dinner choices, and I hope you enjoy this as much as my family and I did! 



Take Care, 



Leanne.

No comments:

Post a Comment