Monday, April 15, 2013

Putting Thoughts In Motion {Gym Motivation}

Happy Monday Everyone!
If you are like me, you like to set new goals for yourself and find that it's easier to start a new habit at the beginning of the work week. However, when it comes to fitness, Sunday night you may set your alarm to get up early to head to the gym, but when Monday morning comes and your alarm goes off early you may feel more inclined to press snooze and sleep for that hour that you had previously intended to be spending doing squats or running until your legs turn to jelly on the treadmill. Now don't get down on yourself if this sounds like you, I did it too when I started getting back into shape recently after finishing my final semester at college.  

Want to know what I did instead of writing off the gym all together that day? I went after work instead, which turned out to be more productive for me because I was able to fully function at work because I was well rested, and was able to unwind after a long stressful day at work by taking a relaxing jog on the treadmill and lifting weights (yes I truly do find these things relaxing).

What I'm trying to say here is you can get all of this advice on starting a new routine or habit, but ultimately you need to find what works best for you and make it work. At first it may seem like a challenge, but eventually it will be second nature, a part of your daily routine.

So with that all being said, I felt like I would give some tips of what I've found personally help to keep me motivated to be physically fit, and to get my butt into the gym after a weekend off. Here it goes:


1. Schedule It

My dry erase calender looks quite similar to this, except this is a runner's calender  where mine is a little less descriptive and just states which days I do strength and which days I do cardio. I find this technique very helpful and keeps me motivated to go to the gym because once it's in writing, it's a priority; treat it like an appointment that you cannot miss.


2.  Prepare Ahead

Pack your gym bag the night before and put it by the front door; that way, when you're heading out, you have no excuse to forget it and miss your gym session. I personally take this to another level by having a back up gym bag in the trunk of my car, as well as leaving one at my front door. No excuses!

3. Use Your Phone

This world that we live in now uses technology for everything, so why not use it to your advantage? Give yourself an extra push by setting a reminder alert on your phone for 5 minutes before you leave work (or whatever time works best for you) so that when you go to look at your phone, BAM there's a reminder right in your face telling you to get your butt to the gym.

4. Plan A Route With Purpose

This is one of my favourite tricks that I play on myself on days when I don't want to go to the gym and would rather be lazy and watch movies on the couch; I plan my route home from work so that I have to drive by my gym. That way it's staring me in the face and I have no reason to drive past because it's on my way home. And let's face it, you can curl up on the couch and watch movies after a quick workout anyway.


These 4 tips are my top motivators to keep me going to the gym throughout the week. And if you miss a day, don't beat yourself up, you can make up for it tomorrow! One day lost shouldn't keep you from reaching your goals. 


Take Care,

Leanne.

No comments:

Post a Comment