Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Weight Watchers' Banana Applesauce Bread

Every once and a while I buy bananas for smoothies, and 9 times out of 10 I get sick of eating them long before they go bad. So they sit until they're basically black, and then my friends you have what I like to call the perfect opportunity for making homemade banana bread. Yum!

Recently I purchased a Weight Watchers cookbook, and luckily they have a healthy version of banana bread. Now I know some people may think that Weight Watchers recipes are just for people who are dieting (or specifically on a Weight Watchers' program), or that because it's technically "diet food" that it will be lacking flavour and generally boring. Both of these points could not be more incorrect. I assure you, not only are these recipes not just for dieters, they are also absolutely delicious!

Banana Applesauce Bread Recipe:


Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups All Purpose Flour
1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
6 Very Ripe Small Bananas
1 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Fat-Free Egg Substitute
1/3 cup Canola Oil
1/4 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
1 tsp Vanilla Extract

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 5x9 inch loaf pan with non-stick spray; dust with flour, shaking out excess.
2. Whisk all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
3. Mash bananas in a large bowl; whisk in sugar, egg substitute, oil, applesauce, and vanilla until blended. Add banana mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until flour mixture is moistened (don`t over mix). Scrape batter into prepared pan and spread evenly.
4. Bake until deep golden brown and tooth pick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean, about 1 hr 15 mins (depending on your oven this may vary; it only took 1 hr for my bread to be fully baked). Let cool in pan for 10 mins on a wire rack. Remove bread from pan and let cool completely on rack.

Enjoy!

Note- Changes that I personally made were:
- Using 2 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour ( I didn`t have any whole wheat flour around the house and was too lazy to go to the store)
- Using 3 large bananas instead of 6 small.
- I typically do not buy egg substitute, so I used 2 whole eggs
- Adding 1 tsp ground cinnamon


I highly recommend making this recipe; it was by far the best recipe I've made so far, and I was very impressed at how big of a loaf it made. If you want to make this recipe more of a treat, feel free to add mini chocolate chips (or dark chocolate chips).

Take Care,

Leanne.

No comments:

Post a Comment