Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Delicious Naniamo Bars

So recently I've found myself craving sweets like crazy! One night when I was thinking of what I wanted to have/make to satisfy my sugar craving I suddenly remembered an amazing dessert bar that I used to eat at my Nana's as a treat: Naniamo Bars.

These bars are absolutely delicious! They are in my opinion the best thing to curb a sugar craving.


Recipe:

Ingredients
  • Bottom layer: ½ cup butter
  • ¼ cup white sugar
  • 5 tablespoons cocoa
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1¾ cup Graham cracker crumbs
  • ¾ cup fine coconut
  • ¼ cup chopped walnuts
  • Middle layer: ½ cup butter, softened
  • 3 tablespoons milk
  • 2 tbsp vanilla custard powder
  • 2 cups icing sugar
  • Top layer: 5 squares of semi-sweet baker’s chocolate (or ¾ cup)
  • 2 tablespoons butter
Instructions
  1. Bottom Layer: Melt first 3 ingredients in a medium sized saucepan on medium-low heat
  2. Add beaten egg and stir till thickened, about 1 minute
  3. Remove from heat and stir in remaining ingredients
  4. Press firmly into a 9″x9″ ungreased pan
  5. Middle layer: Cream butter in a medium sized bowl
  6. Add remaining ingredients and beat until light and fluffy, about 1 minute
  7. Spread evenly over bottom layer
  8. Place in fridge for at least 20 minutes before adding top layer
  9. Top layer: Melt chocolate and butter over low heat in double boiler until just melted
  10. Pour evenly over middle layer
  11. Chill in refrigerator
  12. Once the chocolate is set soft, cut into bars and return to fridge.

**Make sure you cut the bars before the chocolate is set firm or the chocolate will crack. These freeze very well.  

I you find yourself with a major sugar cravings. I highly recommend that you make this recipe. It will be worth the work.


Take Care,

Leanne.

No comments:

Post a Comment